When Jesús Maria Ocampo, the “tiger killer” who loved hunting jaguars ran away from the military General Gallo, he bought a parcel of land for a trading center. Other colonists joined him and bought property for their homes. By August 1890, Armenia had 100 inhabitants, so it applied to the government for recognition as a town. The township got its name before the Armenian Massacres of the late 1890’s.
From its inception until 1927, travel in and out of town was only by mule, but with the arrival of roads, the population grew dramatically. With its pleasant climate, Armenia grew rapidly and is sometimes called “Ciudad Milagro” (Miracle City) due to the fast growth, now half a million people including the immediate area around the urban core.
Coffee, plantains, and bananas grow well, and tourists enjoy local cuisine restaurants, exhibition centers, also participating in fishing, golf, tennis, and ecotourism. The city is linked daily with Bogota, Medellin, Panama City, and Fort Lauderdale, making it a choice for conferences, meetings, and business and social events.
We are focusing on Armenia this month because LAM has missionaries here are involved in vital ministries.
Please pray for: